This is the perfect summer-time dessert. It is light, full of flavor, and just as refreshing as the tropical drink we all enjoy!
1 box yellow cake mix
1 8oz can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/2 c water
1/3 c coconut oil
2 T coconut rum, divided
1 container whipped white frosting
1 7oz bag coconut flakes, sweetened
12 maraschino cherries, if desired
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray
2) In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pineapple, water, oil, eggs, and 1T rum. Mix with a hand mixer on low for two minutes. Pour into cake pans.
3) Bake as directed on cake mix box.
4) Allow cake to cool completely, about one hour
5) Stir remaining rum and coconut flakes into frosting in a medium size bowl.
6) Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread 1/4 frosting onto cake top. Top with second layer of cake. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting.
7) Store loosely covered in the refrigerator. Garnish with maraschino cherries, if desired just before serving.
*Note: Modified from Betty Crocker