The aroma of this dish filling your home will have you dreaming of fall colors, football, and turkey! But it is also a perfect twist on a 4th of July American favorite, apple pie. Regardless of the season, this will be a hit with all of your guests!
3/4 c butter, softened
1 3/4 c rolled oats
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 c brown sugar
2 1/2 c apples, sliced & peeled (~2 large apples)
2 T butter, melted
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease with cooking spray a 9x9 pan
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter with rolled oats. Using a pastry blender (or knife and fork), cut the butter into the rolled oats until small (pea-sized) crumbles begin to form.
3) Slowly add in other crust/topping ingredients, continuing to cut the mixture into crumbles. (Final product should look as shown below.)
4) In a medium bowl, mix together filling ingredients.
5) Pour half of the crust/topping crumbles into the baking pan. Using a fork, press crumbles until packed tightly into the bottom of the pan.
6) Spread filling evenly over crust in the pan.
7) Pour the remaining half of the crust/topping crumbles over the filling. Similarly to the crust, using a fork, press crumbles until tightly packed.
8) Bake for 30 minutes.
9) Allow bars to cool before cutting, but may be served warmed.